Thursday, May 19, 2005

Hazaron Khwahishein is great

HKA is a great film. After a long time, I saw a Hindi film where the characters were so real to me that my suspension of disbelief was total. I found myself really caring about what was happening to them.

In fact I actually caught myself worrying about what happened to them after the movie ended. Did Vikram ever recover? How did Geeta cope with the rise of the Mandalian social justice crowd fifteen years later? Did she get fooled and campaign for Laloo in the '86 elections? Who'll take care of Vikram if Geeta dies before he does when they grow old? Perhaps her son will. He must be around thirty now. Does he go and meet his mother? Does he help her in what she does? It feels good to be able to connect emotionally to a movie. The fact that the college scenes were filmed in my alma mater is just an added bonus :-)

Of course, most reviewers are too focused on the politics. The politics is just a backdrop, this is really a love story. It's about three people, one of whom has just ideals, one just love but no ideals and the third has both. In the end, the movie tells you that having both is the best, but having just love is better than having just ideals. Not a political message.

No comments: